Monday, November 26, 2012

Paper Folding






Origami creatures by Britta Manger, available at her shop Birdtoldme. I talked a little about childhood nostalgia welling up from an unknown origin last week, but this time I know where my immediate fondness for paper folding comes from: Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes. Did you ever read that book in grade school? It's such a compelling story. I remember my entire grade level creating a thousand paper cranes after reading it and hanging them all up in the hallways. Origami seems like a simple art form at the outset, but some of the sculptures can be incredibly complex. That's why I like seeing Manger's designs in both their flat paper forms and as completed structures: you get an idea of the true intricacy involved.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...