Friday, November 18, 2011

Valerie Hegarty




The beauty of these weather beaten, half eaten, regressive works by Valerie Hegarty makes my heart ache. With these four, Hegarty takes the subject matter and applies its natural, real world effects to the physical work: a painting of fruit left sitting out has rotted away and been picked at by animals. In Fog Warning with Barnacles (2010), Winslow Homer's The Fog Warning (1885) is ravaged by salt water. As Hegarty says,
My piece suggests the storm has caught up with the man in the boat, now the image itself has been the subject and victim of the storm. I like the idea of the Homer image being swept away in a Homeresque manner, engulfed by the ocean.
I also love how the canvases and wooden frames transform into branches, stretching and clawing to return to their natural, knotty state.

From the top: In the Woods, Of the Woods (2009); Fog Warning with Barnacles (2010); Autumn on the Hudson Valley with Branches (2009); Still Life with Half-Eaten Fruit (2011).

4 comments:

andrea despot said...

I love his description of how the sea caught up with the man in the boat... I have such a fondness for the sea, for salt-weathered things.

PS. I've never told you this before, but I really like your blog name. For awhile it felt weird to say in my head, I kept wanting it to be "length x width." Anyway, it's very clever and I appreciate it :)

patience said...

these are absolutely stunning - i have never seen anything like it - i would die to curate an exhibition with these pieces!

and thank-you to..andrea. because apparently i'm an idiot and didn't even GET your blog name until i just read her comment. oops!

Liza said...

If photographs of these pieces are moving, I can't even imagine what it would be like to see them in person (that means I would be a fixture at your exhibition, Kaitlyn!).

Haha, your comments about my blog name make me laugh because even I, the creator, have trouble saying it in my mind! I meant it to be a play on words, but I think "length times width" is too ingrained in me from elementary school. Now I say "length by wit," which seems to help a little bit. :)

Morlee said...

The first and second are my favorites. Sometime I am so amazed at what people can think up!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...