Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Ian Francis






I can't think of any other way to say this, so I'm just going to go ahead and put this out there: I am a little bit in love with the work of Ian Francis. Each piece looks like a scene from a science fiction novel I haven't read yet. The portrayals of an isolating technology-driven culture, gaseous landscapes, and utterly fantastical women are powerfully evocative. Francis' work is lurid and fun, yet ultimately sobering; a glance a the titles alone (see below) brings you crashing back down from the fantasy worlds that are depicted.

The potential loss of one's humanity -- and, to a certain extent, one's innate imagination -- when media and technology are made to provide all of our definitions for it is driven home in these pieces. His work, especially in its depictions of women, also reminds me of that of Frank Frazetta, only with a more abstract, sci-fi bent to it.

As of right now, I am wanting to take the first two home with me (oh my gosh, talk about fantasy), but that might change once I get a closer look. Turns out Francis has a show at the Joshua Liner Gallery up in March! Looks like a trip to Chelsea is in order...

Via My Modern Met.

From top to bottom: A Boy Returns Home Not Realizing How Much He's Changed; A Jellyfish Appears at the Window of a Hotel Bar; A Girl's Newfound Love for Technology Grows to Fill Her Whole World; A Strange Ghost Follows a Girl to the Edge of a River; Walking Down a Street a Person is Crushed by Light (all 2010)

1 comment:

corbett said...

YES!!!
I like how messy they are.

you (we) would TOTALLY read all those books.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...